Tuesday, February 12, 2013

C.B.R.P. update


I fell off doing the daily readings for a week or two when I went back to work but I'm trying to get back on the wagon. I'm into Numbers now. I have ground my way through the first ten chapters about the census and the Levites and a particularly difficult chapter about a whole bunch of offerings.

And today I've moved onto some more exciting action in the story, the bit where the Israelites send out the advance party to scope out the Promised Land and they come back freaked out about all the tall and strong people there. I always have a bit of a giggle at them being scared off by the tall people. Maybe it's because I have a tall husband.

The Bible Society daily email verses at the moment are also from Numbers so they are lining up nicely with what I'm reading.

Here's the last couple of verses from Numbers 13 (the above image is from here):

32 So (AB)they brought to the people of Israel a bad report of the land that they had spied out, saying, “The land, through which we have gone to spy it out, is a land that devours its inhabitants, and (AC)all the people that we saw in it are of great height. 33 And there we saw the (AD)Nephilim (the sons of Anak, who come from the(AE)Nephilim), and we seemed to ourselves (AF)like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.”


3 comments:

Meredith said...

"...and we seemed to ourselves like grasshoppers"

It's great language and a great image. Good work on the CBRP, fellow traveller. So glad you haven't beaten yourself up about missing a week or two and have just got back into it. Yay.

Ben McLaughlin said...

To be honest I'm feeling a bit bummed. Fell off a while back and haven't managed to get back into the swing. I'm still in the early pages of Exodus.

Karen said...

Thanks Meredith, there were a few weeks when it all felt a bit hard but then I'll read something that gets me excited about it again :)

Ben, I know the feeling. Also being honest here, there have been a few times when I've been skim reading rather than real reading, if that makes sense? I figure that even if I'm not deeply reading, I'm still getting the overview of how it all fits. It's easy to get bogged down in the details of how they built the Tabernacle, or all the offerings they made, or how the priests were set apart etc etc. I just have to try and keep the bigger story of it all in my mind.

I keep thinking that it's all pointing to Jesus (and thank goodness we don't have to sacrifice rams and goats anymore....)