Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Making my own chicken stock...and a few other cooking adventures



I've never bothered to make it before. It's rare that I have a spare three to four hours on a cool wet day to let it simmer on the stove. But today I had those spare hours, and a chicken carcass sitting in the fridge as well. So the stock is currently doing its thing on the stove. It smells fantastic.

When it's finished cooking, I'm going to use it to make bacon, leek and pearl barley soup for dinner tonight.  

And since I'm busy using up stuff from the fridge, I'll also be baking a rhubarb and yoghurt cake for dessert this evening. 

I've never made the bacon and leek soup or the rhubarb cake before either. So it's a trifecta of new recipes that I have on the go here today.

Hmmm....I think cooking could be becoming my new form of assignment marking avoidance. When I was writing my Masters thesis a few years ago, I used to clean the house when I was procrastinating about sitting down at the computer to write. Never before (or since) had my house been so clean. 

But cooking is heaps more fun as a procrastination strategy. Anyone else cooking anything yummy today?

Image from here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'm impressed! I was feeling pretty proud of my smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers roll until I read this post - it hardly counts as cooking, but it's as exciting as I'm going to get today.

These recipes all sound AMAZING, and I have automatic respect for anyone who makes their own stock. I'll just admire you from afar while eating my no-effort-whatsoever lunch.

Karen said...

Sadly, I've just realised that I don't quite have enough home made stock for the soup recipe I'm doing later this afternoon...so I am going to have to add some of the powdered stock anyway. Disappointing.

Believe me, cooking days like this are very rare around here...except when there is marking to be done!