Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bad Science


Just for something that is not Liam-related, I have just finished reading this book. I don't know that it's everybody's cup of tea but I really enjoyed it.

The author also runs a website dedicated to exposing shonky therapies and research. I think there are some fairly dubious interventions used in the occupational therapy profession that should be on there, but since there are so many other weird therapies out there in the world he might never get to insignificant little OT techniques. Maybe I should tackle the challenge myself, I have often wanted to but not sure I can word it diplomatically enough into a paper that's suitable for publication.

My thoughts are that it is definitely a good book to read if you have never given your kids fish oil capsules to improve their behaviour and concentration but wondered if you should have (edited to add...your typically developing kids, not those who may have ADHD). And if you needed any convincing that there is no link between the MMR vaccine and autism, this book explains it very well.

No comments: