Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Flooding....


....might get to my parents' house in the next couple of days. Their house in Brisbane went under in a big way in 1974 (up to the top of the windows) so I think they are quietly freaking out. The photo above was taken at the end of their street during the 1974 floods.

My sister and brothers are helping them move their stuff to higher ground just in case. Last time it happened they moved their stuff early when a lot of their neighbours didn't and their fears proved well-founded then. Hopefully it won't be the case this time.

I feel a bit useless here but I suspect arriving with three small children to offer assistance wouldn't be what's required right now.

Praying that all the talk about how Wivenhoe Dam is supposed to prevent Brisbane ever flooding like 1974 again turns out to be the truth and not just grandstanding. If you're reading this please pray for us.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Praying. My whole family is in SEQ at present. It is scary to think about. I don't think any of their houses are under threat but as yesterday showed in Toowoomba, you don't have to be in a house to be in trouble.