Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Some Elisabeth Elliot wisdom

I found this in one of the appendices to Disciplines of a Godly Woman:

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances."

Such a helpful thought. This was very challenging to me. So often, I have felt that if only I had this, knew that, was in that social group, if my kids would just do the right thing, or if we lived in that place/house with that particular job, then I would be contented. And yet so often, when I reach the point of having what I've so desperately coveted, I discover that it's still not enough. This is why. It's not changing the circumstances around us that makes the difference. It's living with Jesus in our hearts that makes the difference, not some ongoing search for fulfilment in worldly things.

I think I need to read more of Elisabeth's work. Does anyone have any recommendations?



No comments: