Monday, December 27, 2010

The smell of death

It's in my hairdryer. A moth crawled in there one night last week and was incinerated when I turned the dryer on in the morning. What a way to die. I feel a bit bad that I was so unwittingly cruel.

I noticed a few sparks and a little flame in the dryer at the time but didn't realise what it was until later on. It stopped shooting out sparks and flames but it then started to smell really bad whenever I used it. A bit like the smell of roadkill after it has been sitting on the side of the road for a few days.

When I shone a torch into the dryer, I discovered the moth carcass and realised what had happened. However, what's left of it is irretrievable from either end of the hairdryer. Nothing happened when I tried to shake it out. It looks like it's become welded to the metal bits of the hairdryer innards.

So I had to throw the whole dryer away. It was heading for its seventh birthday which is usually when small appliances die anyway, so it was probably living on borrowed time. And at least at this time of the year I might score a bargain when I go to get a new one.

No comments: