Thursday, October 13, 2011

Book Chat Term 4


This term we are reading Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. Our discussion group is on November 5th so that's another reason to hope the baby stays inside for a bit longer.

I finished reading it a few weeks ago so have passed it on to a friend to read. I didn't find it too hard to read, although I did struggle a bit with some of his "men in the war" stories. Don't know whether that would be more appealing to men than women.

But there was plenty of good stuff to take away from it as well. I was challenged by his words on wasting time watching too much television and spending too much time on the internet (guilty of both here), and he had some helpful things to say about living as Christians in secular workplaces as well.

Not sure if Book Chat will continue next year. The numbers haven't been huge (not sure if that relates to what we've been reading, scheduling issues or other things) which has been a bit discouraging. But I'm hoping that those who have joined in have found it encouraging and a good way to grow as Christians.

I've achieved my aim which was to finish reading Christian books rather than getting stuck in the pattern of just reading the first chapter and then never picking up the book again, so I'm thankful to God for this.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I've had that book in my bookcase for over 7 years now, but haven't got around to reading it yet. It's on my to-do list. Thanks for the review.