Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sensationalist journalism in the cyclone TV coverage

Who would have thought?

I was watching Sunrise this morning as they covered the aftermath of Cyclone Yasi. Not for long. Their reporters became irritating quite quickly. I saw far too much of them telling people it wasn't safe to be outside as they were driving around amongst fallen trees with one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand filming with the iPhone. Then barging into homes unannounced and apologising for it after they were already inside. I'm guessing some of this behaviour will be making Media Watch.

So I switched channels back to the ABC for less hysteria.

But unfortunately, I then missed this little gem as someone from the Sunrise crew was checking out a flattened banana farm: "and here are the infant bananas that will never get a chance to grow...."

Hilarious. Although the damage done around Mission Beach and Tully is no laughing matter.

No comments: