Monday, December 26, 2011

Thinking about....

...supporting mission work this year.

A friend from our church is going to Nepal for the first six months of 2012 to work with CMS in a school that provides education for children of missionaries. She has just graduated as a secondary school teacher and has decided to do this as her first teaching position.

I'm really excited that she's decided to do this. Chris and I are hoping we can support her both in prayer and financially over the coming months. We also support a friend we met way back in Toowoomba days through SIM. He translates the Bible into the local language in Burkina Faso.

While I was looking at the CMS website, I noticed there are lots of opportunities for allied health professionals to be involved in mission work, in Nepal and lots of other places in the world as well. I even found a story about a young woman here who is about to begin work as an occupational therapist in Pokhara. After reading My Seventh Monsoon last year, and getting to know Wendy through blogging, I've learned lots more about what allied health professionals can do in a mission context.

I just wish I'd known all this back when I was younger and less encumbered...

But it's great that we can still help out financially so that others can go.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I've been thinking and praying about cross-cultural missions a lot lately too - wondering if my husband and I should go ourselves or just keep supporting those who have. I like the analogy I heard one overseas missionary use, emphasising the partnership in the gospel between those who give and go - "I'll go down the well if you'll hold the rope."

Wendy said...

Wow, you know Robin too! Less than seven degrees of separation between us!

Wendy said...

I've just read this post to my husband, we're both so encouraged (by you too Sarah). It is always great to hear when people are growing more interested in mission. And yes, we couldn't do what we do without a whole lot of people like you and Chris helping us. Actually we find that over the years there is an attrition in our support, eg. as older people retire and lose income or physical capacity, they drop off our financial support list (and usually up the prayer support!). So missionaries really do need people to join their teams later, and not just when they first go out. Never too late to start helping out holding that rope.

The other reason I'm encouraged is that it is great to hear that my blog is helping at least one person gain a better understanding of mission. That was/is my main goal!